Saturday 30 June 2012

Ho ho ho, Green Giant....


I had an automotive road to Damascus recently. Well actually the road to Correze. The problem with a Volvo which is very pretty (I know that’s an oxymoron) but prone to failures of trim is that you don’t really want to get it dirty. You certainly don’t want to throw pieces of agricultural machinery in the boot let alone a wet dog or two. There was only one conclusion. It had to go. No more shiny fake wood. No more air conditioned bum. No more turbo charged creamy leathered Parker Knoll for the motorways.  Something more serviceable and practical was needed. Something you could swill out and climb a mountain in. Something that said, “I’ve gone from dull executive type on a career path to an occasionally lost but more humble and happier I’m not sure exactly what yet”

I think that’s how I found myself in the Landrover dealership of a Saturday morning. “Would you like a frothy cappuccino from our Swedish cappuccino machine Suh?”… don’t mind if I do…. “What can we tempt Suh with this morning? Has he seen the award winning Evoque?” Even if I could afford it, something that was inspired by Victoria Beckham wasn’t likely to get me through the snow with a load of logs…

“I was wondering if you had any old Landrover Defenders?” I stopped short of saying “that no body wants and which need a good home because that’s about all I can afford”…  I think my face probably communicated it though.

I was discreetly moved to one side, a bit like Norman Wisdom turning up somewhere posh in one of his films. I was politely seated next to the accessories – cups, kagools and fleeces bearing the Landrover logo and business card holders and shiny pens bearing the Range Rover logo. After enough time for my dreadful frothy coffee to congeal and go cold a nice man came and introduced himself. John of Used Sales. It sounded momentarily like a title, such as Ann of Cleves, or Lawrence of Arabia  but hopefully with a slightly less dire outcome.

I explained what I was after and why I needed it. I probably looked almost convincing but not enough for John of Used Sales to say “have you ever been in one?” This was code for “are you mad? It’s way too butch for a prissy parking sensor heated seated electrically folding mirrored homolulu like yourself”

Fair question. I had actually but I could not remember what it was like. I seemed to remember stepping out of one as a child and plummeting for what seemed like an eternity.

Never the less John of Used Sales decided he might have just the thing for me…. Ushering me out the back door, he took me into a compound. Amidst a pile of broken cars and trade ins too common for the forecourt, stood a green beast. Dirty, shabby but standing tall and in full length van version. A 2003 Landrover Defender 110 Hardtop to give her her full title. She spoke to me. She said “take me to France and let’s run away together, let’s be born again together and live happily ever after”. I didn’t kick tyres, suede loafers would come off worse against these Michelin monsters.  I did know however that there and then a test drive beckoned.

Once I’d climbed inside (literally) I saw that the door handles were Morris Marina circa 1978, the switchgear Mini/Maxi circa 1970-80, I was in retro heaven and no-one was going to take me out of it. All I needed was a pair of Farah slacks and a Farrah flick and the picture was complete.

No buttons, not even a rev counter. No dials or digital displays, no automatic anything. I felt that this reflected the new me. Simple, stripped back and hopefully functional.

However this new form of driving would need a transition and you could take the boy out of the Volvo but not the Volvo out of the boy. “John, my window seems to be a tad foggy, is there a demisting button for it?” John of Used Sales coughed and spoke seamlessly, “Use ya sleeve mate”

As I bumbled and bounced along the road, re-acquainting myself with the concept of a clutch the, car made me smile. It made me realise that in the grand scheme of life an extra ten seconds to get to 60 mph meant you actually observed the scenery around you. The deal was done. John of Used Sales could take Marion of Milton Keynes for a curry that night.

When I got home and explained I’d sold the cow for a bag of beans, my only defence was “Well the Queen has one” to which David of Much Patience quietly replied “Yes dear but she also has 25 Rolls Royces”

There was nothing left to do but plan the big trip…. Take the big beast to France and put her to work on the things she was bought for. The house is now ours and the fun can begin…….

No comments:

Post a Comment